Your medical professionals in Silver Spring, MD, can help with diabetes management
Diabetes is a serious disease that may go undetected. It often has no obvious symptoms, and unless you have a blood test, you may not know you have the disease. Diabetes affects most of the major systems in your body, including the immune, circulatory, and nervous systems. Your medical professional can help you manage your diabetes to protect your health.
The medical professionals at Exceptional Primary & Preventive Healthcare in Silver Spring, MD, offer a wide variety of healthcare services, including the management of diabetes.
The first step in managing diabetes is to confirm that you have the disease. This is done with a diabetic screening, which should be performed when you are at least 45. The diabetic screening will:
- Measure your fasting blood sugar levels
- Measure A1C, which is an average of blood sugar levels over the last 2 to 3 months
If diabetes is diagnosed, you can do a lot to manage your diabetes. Effective diabetes management includes:
- Testing your blood sugar regularly and keeping a record of the readings
- Medication management, which can include metformin and insulin
- Lifestyle modifications with your diet and other factors
Lifestyle modification is especially important to keep diabetes under control and help you stay healthy. Remember to:
- Avoid foods and beverages high in sugar, including sodas and juices
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water
- Keep a healthy snack with you to prevent low blood sugar episodes
- Eat a healthy diet of proteins and complex carbohydrates
- Exercise regularly at least 30 minutes every day
Your medical professional wants to partner with you in managing your diabetes. Through medication, testing, and lifestyle changes, the effects of diabetes can be minimized. Careful management of diabetes can help you live a longer, healthier life.
To learn more about diabetes management, talk with the experts. Call the medical professionals of Exceptional Primary & Preventive Healthcare in Silver Spring, MD, at (301) 587-6464. Call today!